I thought this was very good information and Chad gave me permission to post it.
Painting before selling—what you need to know.
When you sell your home, do you want to get the highest price possible in the least amount of time? Of course you do. Everyone does. Experts say that to get a fast sale at the best price, nothing works better than a fresh coat of paint. A newly painted home, priced correctly, looks like a terrific value and typically brings in more buyers.
Start with the exterior. With a home, as with so many other things, first impressions count. We cannot overemphasize the importance of a good first impression on buyers. If the body or trim of your home needs painting, or if it’s painted an unusual color, buyers will go elsewhere, or at best, submit a low offer.
Check out your home from the street and make an honest assessment of its curb appeal. If there isn’t a lot of chipped and peeling paint, have a professional wash the exterior and see how the look improves. That may be all you need to do; however you may have to paint the doors and trim, which take a beating from sun and moisture, and if the body of the house really needs painting, you should do it. Pick a neutral color for the house to appeal to the widest range of buyers and a tasteful contrasting color for the trim.
Now rate the inside. Soiled and chipped paint looks like you’re not into home maintenance, making buyers suspect other things might need attention. Wallpaper? The saying goes, “90% of buyers don’t like wallpaper, and the other 10% don’t like your wallpaper.” Bold and unusual colors are also off-putting. Update all such rooms with paint in light, neutral colors. These shades open up even small spaces and de-personalize rooms, making it easier for buyers to see themselves living in your home.
How to proceed. A professional will do the job right in the least amount of time. To save money, consider splitting the job. Do the inside walls yourself and let the pro handle the trickier ceilings and exterior work. Most importantly, do all your painting before the photos are taken for your listing.
If you’re thinking about selling, we’d be happy to share from our experience how to bring out the best in your home. We can also give you an idea of your home’s value in today’s market and tell you about some attractive opportunities you might like to check out. Please call or email us any time... Have a great day!
19751 E. Mainstreet, Suite R-16
Parker, CO 80138
Phone: (303) 720-9335
Fax: (888) 519-5575
Se Habla Español